Ruth K. Jacobs Memorial Scholarship (Not Currently Offered)
We are unable to offer this scholarship this year, but we hope to offer it again in the future. See the information about the scholarship below to see if you might qualify for a future year.
Scholarship Amount: Up to $1,500 per year.
Established in memory of Ruth Krehbiel Jacobs, founder of Choristers Guild, the Scholarship Fund provides financial aid to full-time students preparing for church music ministry. An applicant must be a junior, senior, or graduate student majoring in music, whose primary interest is choral music with children and youth. Scholarships are given on the basis of academic merit, interest in church music (especially children's and youth choirs), and ministry of church music as a vocation.
Applicants must be registered as a full-time student at an accredited U.S. or Canadian university. Recipients must maintain full-time student status in good academic standing. Choristers Guild defines full-time student status as a minimum of 12 registered hours per semester. Recipients must submit proof of registration prior to receiving any funds. Scholarships will be paid to the school in care of the Bursar's office for distribution to the student. Payments are made twice a year (September and January). The first distribution will be made after proof of registration is received, and the second after receipt of a report of class completion.
An applicant must:
- Be a music major with choral church music as a primary interest.
- Be registered as a junior, senior, or graduate student in an accredited university.
- Be registered as a full-time student (12 hours or more)
- Demonstrate talent, leadership ability and promise of a future in church music.
- Scholarship Application
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- Letters of reference from 4 different individuals (applicants, provide each reference with reference link above)
- 1. Music Professor
- 2. Church Musician
- 3. Ordained Minister
- 4. Personal Reference
Choristers Guild Institute (CGI) Scholarships
A number of partial scholarships are available for Choristers Guild Institute attendees. The Choristers Guild Institute is a week-long, three-stage residential summer training program for leaders of children's and youth choirs (K-8). The Insitute is designed to strengthen directors’ musical and pedagogical skills and to equip them to effectively integrate children in worship.
2021 Scholarship Process
- Applications must be submitted by June 1, 2021.
- Recipients will be notified by June 30, 2021, of award or regret.
- Preference may be given to the following individuals:
- Those who display a commitment to children's church music and have a history and/or future plans to minister as a church musician.
- First-time attendees at the Choristers Guild Institute who pledge to attend in future years.
- Returning participants who have demonstrated exceptional work at the Institute in previous years.
- Practicing church musicians with evidence of experience in a sustained position.
- Scholarship Application: Download Here and submit to email@example.com
- One letter of reference from someone who is either:
- 1. Employer or Music Professor
- 2. Church Musician or Leader
- Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only complete applications submitted by the application deadline will be considered.